Thorough Delaware County, Ohio Attorney Protecting Your Future and Your Rights
More than 10 years of experience working with families and civil protection orders
In Ohio, violating a Civil Protection Order (CPO) can lead to criminal charges. Robert M. Owens of the Owens Law Office has spent more than 20 years working with families in need of and affected by CPOs. We take cases involving alleged violations of CPOs, as well as cases where drafting a CPO may be necessary to protect our clients' lives. Regardless of whom we help, we always treat our clients with the utmost respect.
The difference between a CPO and a temporary restraining order (TRO)
Many people confuse civil protection orders with restraining orders, but in Ohio they have vastly different meanings. A temporary restraining order is issued during divorce proceedings for the duration of those proceedings only. Once the divorce is finalized, the TRO is no longer in place. Furthermore, TROs are not enforced by police, thus placing the onus on the person who is being protected.
A CPO, however, is issued for the protection of domestic abuse victims, and can be upheld by any law enforcement officer in the state of Ohio. Some CPOs have additional requirements attached to them if they are violated, including:
- Being arrested on site for violating the CPO
- Potential jail or prison time
- Monetary fines
- Changes to child custody agreements (when applicable)
- Eviction from the home by the abuser
- Mandatory counseling for one or both parties
Every client is treated with dignity
At the Owens Law Office, we understand that there are three sides to every story: his side, her side and the truth. We believe in listening closely to our clients before starting any case, to determine what their civil litigation needs really are. We also believe that our dedication to working with integrity is what has earned us the reputation we have for being fair-minded and honest. Whether you need a civil protection order drawn up or you're facing charges of a violation, we can help by:
- Investigating the case ourselves. We do our own thorough research into every case we take on. We also speak with experts when needed.
- Developing options with you. We want our clients to be informed about every step of their case. At the Owens Law Office, we make it a point to keep you as informed as we are.
- Working harder and smarter. Our firm believes in efficiency. Everyone has a role to play in our cases, allowing us to avoid unnecessary paperwork and expenses. We ensure that we work towards a goal together.
Contact our Delaware, Ohio firm for information about Civil Protection Orders
At the Owens Law Office, we put our clients first. We work with clients to ensure that their futures and their rights are safe. To learn more about civil protection orders, contact our firm online or call us at 740.513.3292. We offer free consultations.